30 Days of Hope
Join PD Gladiators for a month of hope, fitness, challenges and fun. Look out for a new email each week during Parkinson’s Awareness Month as we journey together through 30 Days of Hope! Not receiving our emails? Subscribe here.
Week 4 – Buddy Up
This week we are encouraging PwP’s to find an exercise buddy (if you don’t already have one). Many studies have shown that people are more likely to commit and stay fit if someone else is there for them and counting on them. Having an exercise buddy helps us dedicate ourselves to exercise with the added bonus of building endearing and enduring relationships.
Not only should your exercise buddy be a good cheerleader and accountability partner, but they should also have a compatible schedule, similar interests and it’s helpful when you live near your buddy so that carpooling is an option.
Don’t have an exercise buddy? Don’t sweat it! We have some good news to share …
Keep your eyes and ears peeled for a tremendous program coming soon from PD Gladiators. We’re very excited to introduce our Gladiator Guides program which will be in full force shortly and will offer an enrichment initiative to get and keep everyone involved in and enjoying exercise.
Week 3 – Show Us Your Moves
This is the “show me” phase and we’d like to know – and see – Where in the World you have been exercising? Whether it’s in a PD Gladiators network class, out in nature or in your home, show us where in the world and how in the world you are dedicating yourself to feel better through exercise.
Be Creative! Submit Your Photo in 3 Easy Steps:
- Ask someone to take a picture of you in action (or use that selfie stick!) Consider before and after pics or even group shots to get others involved in the fun.
- Show us your moves. Did you knock the ball over the net and over your opponent’s head? Did you get a good upper cut? Were your feet grooving and moving to that awesome tempo? Did you reach for the stars in half moon or howl at the moon in down dog? Did you traverse the trail and feel the wind in your face?
- Email your Where in the World action shot to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a great way to inspire, motivate and engage your fellow PwPs (and a little bragging never hurt anyone!) Need inspiration? Learn more about our PD Gladiators Metro Atlanta Fitness Network classes.
Week 2 – Take the 5-Day Fitness Challenge
Throughout the month of April, our goal is to empower and inspire you to take charge of your health and inspire others to do the same. To get you started, take the 5-day Fitness Challenge and you could win a new Fitbit® Alta!
Tips to Get You Moving Each Day
- Practice safety first! Consult with your doctor and/or physical therapist for help finding the right exercise program for you.
- Attend a PD Gladiators Metro Atlanta Fitness Network class. Click here to find a class near you.
- Do something around the house for at least 30 minutes that gets your heart rate up (e.g., mow the lawn, vacuum, walk around your neighborhood).
- Try a new type of exercise. Need a little inspiration? Check out one of our most inspiring boxers in action.
*Fitness challenge submissions should be emailed to email@example.com by Friday, April 13 at midnight to be considered for the Fitbit drawing. Submissions should include your contact information and a few sentences about your week of fitness (e.g., what did you do each day, how did it make you feel).
Week 1 – Get Smart(er) about Exercise and PD
If you participate in PD Gladiators network fitness classes, keep up the good work! And for those of you not currently active, we hope you take this opportunity to push yourself to adopt new habits that could dramatically impact your quality of life.
- Get moving and meet other PwP’s with our PD Gladiators Metro Atlanta Fitness Network.
- Learn the basics and be sure to practice safety first (see the infographic to the right).
- Tiptoe into the world of PD exercise research with “The Exercise Files: A Researcher’s Perspective” blog, written by Dr. Madeleine E. Hackney, Ph.D. and her distinguished colleagues from around the globe.
- Take a deeper dive into medical research on the impact of exercise on Parkinson’s disease.
- Ready for more? Check out these books for more information about PD and exercise: J. Eric Ahlskog’s The New Parkinson’s Disease Treatment Book, Norman Doidge’s The Brain’s Way of Healing and Becky Farley’s PWR!Moves. Add to our list by commenting on our Facebook post. If you order through AmazonSmile using the link below, 5% of every purchase will go to PD Gladiators. Thank you for your support! https://smile.amazon.com/ch/46-4414920
Join the Movement
Stay up-to-date about events going on during Parkinson’s Awareness Month and help us raise awareness! Follow us on Facebook (and share our page with your friends!), visit our website and email us for more information about PD Gladiators, volunteering and more.